KASTLE is the new project of Barrett Richards, whom I consider to be one of the best producers and DJs in the world. For real!
Barrett has a need to be on the cutting edge of music. In a time where busy grinding synths are becoming common place in the mainstream, many pioneers of this sound are adopting a formulaic approach to there productions in order to reap the benefits of commercial success. Barrett, on the other hand, has left his B. Rich persona behind to embrace a sound that is quite the opposite from what we’ve commonly heard in underground dance music over the past decade. This new music is sparse and very pretty. It is undoubtedly the future of electronic music, but Kastle is doing it right now. Check out what popular blogger, TEMPLAR SOUND had to say about Kastle…
“…I am a massive fan of his talents. Production-wise his stuff floats somewhere between the realms of ethereal, atmospheric dubstep, mutant 2-step/garage and R&B from the year 2030. His DJ sets (and mixes) combine all of these elements into a sonic journey that lucky listeners are happy to get lost on.”
Here is one of Kastle’s sonic journeys, recorded for MEDIA CONTENDER.
KASTLE – MEDIA CONTENDER PODCAST 07 (right click>save as to download)
01. Ginuwine – Interlude
02. Au Revoir Simone – Take Me As I Am (Max Cooper Remix)
03. Soul Clap – Action/Satisfaction
04. Adultnapper & Big Bully – Lie to Me
05. Dop – Genius Of The Crowd
06. Yannah & Eddy – This Is Love (Rainer Truby Vocal Remix)
07. Dave Aju – Hide And Go Seek
08. Pirahnahead – Badly ft. Ciara Hill
09. Ben Watt & Stimming – Bright Star ft. Julia Biel (Sunset Mix)
10. Midland & Ramadanman – Your Words Matter
11. Cooly G – Dis Boy (DVA Hi Emotions Remix)
12. Maddslinky – Special ft. Omar (AtJazz Remix)
13. Musaria & Saturna – Moment (JACKeens Remix)
14. A Made Up Sound – Alarm
– Brandy – Boy Is Mine
15. Africa Hitech – How Does It Make U Feel
16. Pariah – Railroad
17. Pirate Soundsystem – Dub N U (Girl Unit Remix)
18. Brandy – I Wanna Be Down (Kastle Bootleg)
19. CRST – May Not Be Real
20. Distal & Hxdb – Typewriter Tune VIP
21. Kastle – Time Traveler
22. Velour – Booty Slammer
23. Shureshotz – Freaksh101
24. Monky – Hipster
25. Bok Bok – Say Stupid Things
26. The XX – Crystalised (Dark Sky Remix)
27. XXXY – This Much
28. Kastle – Bring Me Back
29. Die & Interface – Bright Lights ft. William Cartwright (Joker Remix)
30. Phaeleh & Soundmouse – Afterglow
HIGH POINTS: From the first drop to the final bar, this mix is beautiful all the way through. There are a lot of different musical styles throughout, but every single track is absolutely gorgeous. For those of you that need a break from wobbling basslines and over-compressed banging beats, this mix will be like a breath of fresh air. The passion of the vocals and the sonic depth of the music will get you hooked and pull you through, pausing briefly to make you smile with a couple of BRANDY bootlegs and some fun Garage joints. I had a hard time pressing stop. This mix is an hour and 15 mins of perfectly crafted pleasure. If you’re familiar with Barretts work, you expect no less.
LOW POINTS: This podcast contains several LAZY MIXES. Instances where the tracks switch from one to another with no blend at all. DJs tend to do this when they can’t find a pleasing way to get from one track to another. At 41 mins, there is a major sound shift from Dubstep to Garage beats. It’s very jarring. I found myself thinking “whoa, what just happened?”. I would think that, being one of the best producers in the world, Kastle would have been able to find a more pleasing way to transition from one style to another. Now I know that the art of DJing is dead and and nobody cares, so when Kastle couldn’t find a simple and immediate way to blend the tunes that he wanted to drop, he just said “fuck it”. Fair enough. As someone who appreciates well crafted musical journeys, however, I think it’s a shame when you get taken out of the experience by a jarring break in flow that snaps you back into reality. The tunes in this mix are deep, and the mixing should compliment that. So quit bein’ lazzzy, homeboy!
MORE ABOUT KASTLE.
Here’s a teaser clip from Kastle’s upcoming release, BRING ME BACK.
You like that BRANDY BOOTLEG in his mix? Well you can download it for free and keep up to date on Kastle’s latest manouvers by visiting his WEBSITE.
Can’t wait to hear more.